Sunday, March 3, 2013

March - my month of money minimalism

Have you ever heard of those "No Spend Challenges"? Well, I am about to do one for a month.

While I whittle away my waistline I have something else that needs fattening up. Between moving out, setting up house and forgoing the income I used to get from renting out my apartment, I have noticed my savings are in dire need of a boost.

So I decided that March is a good time of year to put the kybosh on unneccessary spending.

Here are the rules.

1. Shop for groceries once a week - ONLINE.

As I have a fairly strict eating regime these days and I am not doing any massive entertaining, I have a fairly predictable grocery shopping list. Trouble is, when I shop in person there are always a few "discretionary" items that make their way into my basket ("HEY! Who put that cheese in there?"). I tried out the online shopping experience last week, and it worked perfectly. I shopped directly from my list, I ended up getting a lot more than I actually paid for (I put this down to them wanting to overdeliver rather than face complaints) and I wasn't tempted.

2. Bills get debited directly from my account

This is not a new thing. I am obsessed with tracking where my money goes, and it just makes things a lot easier when you can reconcile your accounts electronically.

3. No cash in my wallet

Say what again? That's right. I am going to get through the month with zero cash. I have my weekly travel card. I have a full tank of petrol if I need to use the car. I make my lunches and snacks. We have a coffee machine at work. What more do I really need?

I worked out that most of my cash purchases happen BECAUSE I have cash at hand. If I am forced to make a conscious decision to purchase something, it has to be necessary.

4. Only drive if I have to

This will be tough psychologically, but it shouldn't be. I only bought my current car because I was living in the suburbs and commuting cross-country. I never used to own a car when I lived in the city. Owning a car makes you very lazy in finding ways to get around. So I am committed to public transport for the month. Only drive when I have to go more than 20km (which includes family visits).

5. Entertainment has to be free

This will tie into some of my other challenges on my bucket list, of things to do in Sydney. I have signed up to "things to do for free in Sydney" websites and lists, and it will be fun to amuse myself this way.

6. Freeze the cards

I am going to literally freeze my debit and credit card in my freezer. They won't be in my wallet at all. If there is a genuine spending emergency (which there rarely is) I will have to wait until they defrost. In which time I bet the emergency will pass.




No comments:

Post a Comment