Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Finding the strawberry

Some years ago I got a great piece of advice that is meant to be used when life seems so dark and bleak that you struggle to find any good in it. I really liked the concept, it's called "finding the strawberry in each day".

That is, the one thing that stands out as a bright point. It could be that even if it's a monumentally hot day (like today) at least it's not raining! The sun is shining!

In other words, finding the good side to every situation.

My strawberry came when I collected a parcel from the Post Office for a friend. I had paid for 10 minutes of parking, thinking I would only be in and out in a jiffy. The collection took 20 minutes, as the staff were looking under the firstname rather than surname. I got increasingly frustrated and impatient. Parking inspectors in this area are ruthless, and I had already gone 10 minutes outside my parking ticket time! Hopping from one foot to the other, I started worrying whether I had even locked the car! Do you also find that once something goes wrong, your mind can invent another 78 other things going wrong (imagined or real)? So then I imagined not only getting a parking ticket, but the very next minute thieves taking off with the car. Worse, it's not even my car! Is it insured for theft? What about when the silly person who borrows the car forgets to lock it, does that invalidate the insurance? Oh my god, how can I afford to replace the stolen uninsured car (which also happens to be a Mercedes Compressor CLC.... very expensive!)

The package was found.

The car was there.

Locked.

No ticket.

Thank you for my strawberry :)

1 comment:

  1. Sorry Tash but you are not allowed to be the catastrophiser in our friendship. That title is solely mine!!! Add a little cream to that strawberry. It is a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete