Saturday, January 4, 2014

She flies through the air, with the greatest of ease

Day 3 of the new year and with it came a physical challenge that I was not quite anticipating. I am not sure why I chose trapeze lessons for Christmas gift potentials, but it looked like something that would be a) different, b) an experience and c) a 'doing' gift rather than a 'having' gift. These criteria are important to me, as I already have enough 'stuff n fings' in my life.

However, I was not expecting my 40 years to present themselves quite so mercilessly as they did today.

We lined up with the 6, 7 and 8 year olds. We lined up with the 20-somethings. We stood out like two sore thumbs in both age, flexibility and stamina.

My weight is definitely not yet currently suitable for hanging onto a bar, trying to swing upwards using whatever little core body strength I have, and attempting to gracelessly push my feet between my hands, and thence hang by my knees from the bar, as I arch my back and reach back towards a theoretical 'catcher'.

I recall being so able to do this trick as a youngster, it would have seemed laughable to me that someone could not do this trick! Today my body betrayed me, and it was all I could do to hang there, swinging by my trembling arms.

But the trick of today was not to run, embarrassed from my form. It was to conquer the fear of the unknown. It was to face the heights, to face the fear of letting go, to face my trust issues of having someone hold me as I leaned out with my full body weight over a very small ledge.... and.... step.... off.... on the command "HEP!"

I stepped off.... I did not complete the trick.... I swung once, twice, three times, then let go of the bar. Dropping to the net like a sack of potatoes, and then somersaulting off the net into the padding below.

Then getting back up and doing it all over again. Twice.

At least I managed to do the swing three times in total. My hands, chafing. My arms, burning. My legs, trembling. My dignity, bruised, but not broken.

Gratefully,

Natasha

No comments:

Post a Comment