Tuesday, November 23, 2010

I.R.L.

I have a wonderful concept for a sitcom. I won't divulge all the details here, cos, frankly, I want to monetise it (isn't that both a beautiful and horrible word at the same time... it incorporates the best and worst of creativity and word-hijacking I've seen to date, but I can't seem to avoid using it... or if I used my least favourite word EVER, "utilising" it.... GAH.... I appear to have digressed...)

So my sitcom idea is based on the concept that none of us have "real" lives anymore. We all seem to exist in cyber-space, and sometimes those identities merge with real life, other times they don't.

And the ensusing complications and hijinx that entails.

Ahhh.... what the world needs now... is another sitcom.

THERE IS A POINT TO THIS BLOG, WAIT FOR IT!

So, last night I met yet another friend "in real life" that I met via my online world, namely Twitter. My worlds had collided yet again. I love it when that happens. It is like a little mini-proof that I am not JUST a Netizen, but a real live human being that can still relate F2F (that's Face To Face for non-Netizens).

I recently did an audit of my Facebook friends, to see how many I met via online channels as opposed to real life meetings. Twenty. That's 20 friends I would not have met otherwise, as we live such distances from each other that we could ONLY have met online.

However, last night was different. Last night a met someone that appears to be the spitting image of me, metaphorically speaking. We both live in Surry Hills. We seem to share a brain, according to the comments we will simultaneously dish out at a rate of knots (we both LURVE talking). We share a similar vintage. We are both, as a mutual friend and cafe-owner insisted when he suggested we would get along "like a house on fire", faghags. We move in similar circles, in fact it was suggested last night that it's surprising we didn't have any friends in common on Facebook... a theory which proved only a degree of separation exists from that when she mentioned a friend who I have mutual friends with (am I losing you now, dear readers?)

Never mind. It all makes sense to me. The upshot is that our virtual worlds and real worlds are now colliding in ways that both surprise and terrify me. For someone who is both so willing to be 100% myself with anyone, and share to the point of over-sharing, I am also fiercely protective of my "real" information. The so-called "real" me. But... you have to wonder... has that already been taken from me with my long history of social networking use, which dates back to H2G2 days before it was owned by the BBC?

No comments:

Post a Comment