Monday, October 4, 2010

Do your best... then get over it

Long time, no blog.

I've been sick, which always stifles my creativity. But the past week off work, stapled to my couch, coughing up lungs and getting rid of the lurgy that overtook my body with a speed and savagery of a Mongol horde has given me plenty of time to reflect on the use of "feeling sorry for yourself".

I don't want to sound all ranty-lecture-lady, but with illness comes far more limited patience with OPDs (Other People's Dramas) of which I have been subjected to a lot lately. I am a good listener, and a compassionate person, which is probably the reason people come to me for advice, sympathy or just a friendly ear.

But I must say that lately, there seems to have been a lot of dramas of the "mountain out of a molehill" variety, to which my response has been "just do your best.... then get over it".

What I mean by this is.... it's never as bad as you think.

Putting your life's dramas into perspective can be liberating; as that classic Casablanca quote goes "the problems of two little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world".

The only thing any of us can do is our best. Do your best in your relationships, your work, your self-improvement, your creative pursuits, your spirituality, your [insert aspect of life here]... then if it doesn't work out, understand that you have DONE your best, that most other people's reactions to YOU don't really matter, that their reactions are about them, and it probably isn't personal.

So, feel sad that whatever you expected to happen hasn't happened, and that you have been disappointed, then whack a sense of humour over the situation, put on a smile, and get over it.

It takes some practice, believe me. But it really works.

And, you'll feel better for doing it, trust me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment