Friday, September 30, 2011

Windows to the soul

I was just reading this lovely post The Eyes Are The Window To The Soul from one of my favourite websites The Daily Love and I realised something uncomfortable about myself.

I don't make prolonged eye contact with anyone. Not even friends or family. Sure, I look into people's eyes, but only briefly and sporadically while holding a conversation with them. Certainly never in silence. Certainly never to connect deeply and meaningfully.

I find eye contact very very unnerving. You could say I have had a gutful of keeping my heart open, because of the sheer volume of times it has been torn in moments of extreme vulnerability. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying this makes me anything special, I know every single person on the planet has probably the same feeling as me in this regard.

But I am ashamed to realise that I have allowed this to stop me from connecting with even those that I love and trust and who haven't hurt me.

Even thinking about doing this, even as an experiment as Samantha has, terrifies me.

But I am going to try.

For the upcoming long weekend I am taking myself "away from it all" to a beach location, where I intend to do a lot of meditation, exercise and connection with myself. However, inspired by this blog post, I think I will throw in a little connection with others as well.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a beautiful weekend planned Tash. Let me know the outcome. I am too, not very good at the eye contact thing. --- and I am envious of your upcoming 'away from it all' plan. Keep us posted xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luckily, I'm pretty good with looking into people's eyes, talking or not. Well, for an Asian I'm pretty good. Typically, my cultural kin tend to look everywhere besides the eyes as it's a form of aggression. So maybe you're Asian, Tash. ;)

    (yes, I said that in jest)

    - Ivan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luckily for me, I'm pretty good with the looking into one's eyes; talking to or not. Well, compared to my Asian cultural kin anyway. In Asian culture, it's a threatening thing to do.

    So, maybe you're Asian. :)

    (kidding) :D

    - Ivan

    ReplyDelete