Monday, September 27, 2010

Fill in the the blank: "Online dating is [blank]"

I lasted a week. Which is a pretty poor effort, I will concede.

I met up with one person, had phone conversations with another, and got to "online first base email conversations" with the rest.

Notwithstanding my very wise "Do's and Dont's" there was always something a little disconcerting about opening myself up to an undisclosed number of "anybodys" online and asking them to judge whether they'd like to date me.

As I said before, interest was high. But mine was not.

Not even for the comic material, I kind of felt sorry for some of the men who contacted me and within only a few emails were gushing about their affection towards me. Sincere or insincere? Desperate and needy? Lacking any social boundaries that you might display when meeting someone under "normal" (ie: non-date-expectation) settings?

Whatever the reason, my patience snapped when I got my final "kiss" from a man whose profile stated that his perfect partner "would love having sex with [him] for hours, and enjoy the sensual pleasures of [his] touch. Even when we are not having sex, we would bask together with each other in the afterglow."

Um.... riiiiiiight.

I appreciate that sex is a huge part of any relationship, but seriously...? Stating that on your profile? It just cemented the "ickiness" factor I had when venturing back into the online dating world.

So, that's it for me. I'm going back to the old-fashioned method of putting myself out there with people who are part of my 3D world.

It's so crazy, it just might work!

No comments:

Post a Comment