Friday, September 24, 2010

You’re never fully dressed without a smile

Something that’s struck me as odd in this whole online dating caper is that a lot of people put up pictures of themselves in the most unbelievable contexts (some specific examples I have come across include: sitting in a helicopter, at work in a factory, standing beside unbelievably expensive-looking cars, at exotic locations presumably on exciting holidays, drinking wine at a bar) and yet not one of them is smiling. There is something... unfinished... about them.

For a wonderful song illustrating what I mean, click here.

I love people who smile. I don’t know anyone who doesn’t. It doesn’t matter what you look like, whether you believe you are attractive, homely, short, tall, well dressed, shabbily dressed, got make up on, going bare-faced… if you have a sincere smile on your face that shows whatever you are doing is enjoyable, then you will ALWAYS be appealing.

Try smiling. Right now. Put down this blog and do some grinning. I will be here when you get back.

Go on.

See? How do you feel now? I’ll bet you even feel happier already. And all you had to do was pull the muscles of your face outwards and show some teeth.

A big, happy grin on your mug makes you more approachable as well. People will believe you are more relaxed, easy going, and will be more willing to strike up a conversation with you. As I have found, multiple times IRL as well as online. Mind you, this also means I get approached by people who could be considered a little on the fringes of society, but that’s alright. As long as you are not offensive or harmful, I’ll talk to you.

But, show me a picture of someone who is looking deadpan and serious in EVERY SINGLE ONE of their photos and I am likely to say “no thanks”.

S’all I’m sayin’, people.

No comments:

Post a Comment