Tuesday, January 25, 2011

CrankyPants Reaction Rant

I read another silly relationship blog again today. But it's not the blog that gets me crankypants. It's comments like these, posted by "Unshackled" who seems to paint ALL Sydney women with the same "superficial" brush. Believe me, this is the stereotype of Sydney women that I am fast becoming sick of reading. I will deal with this rant line by line, because it's gotten my hackles up [no, I don't know what hackles are either, but mine are DEFINITELY up.]


I can't speak for the other males in Sydney, but it seems like the men who want to commit, be monogamous, want to settle down and create a life with a woman are freakin' assed out.
...
[I love how he is not speaking for other males in Sydney, yet is about to describe all single females in Sydney. You think this guy has met us all? Probably not.]
...
I mean, it's all superficial with most of the single female population here in Sydney. 
...
[Yes, Sydney is largely painted as completely superficial. From our glittering harbour to our Mountains of Blue. We get it. However, like every other place on the planet, there is the good and there is the bad. You gotta search out the good, and shake it out from the bad. I've lived in Sydney all my life and have only ever added decent, like-minded, values-driven people to my social circle. It's quite large by now. I figure through this large circle of like-minded people I will eventually find my "Prince". It's a good idea to try doing something similar.]

...
Can I vent further? Well, I am anyway.
...
[Sigh.]
...
If a guy doesn't have washboard abs, a big bank account and the material things, he never "gets the girl". 
... 
[I suspect this means he does not have washboard abs, a big bank account and material things, and is bitter about it. It's called "projection", and it's where we believe that what we find deficient in others MUST be what they find lacking in us. In other words, I would place a large bet that this guy is looking for the same thing in women that is considered "high status" from a man's point of view (slim, long blonde hair, good looking) and is getting frustrated that they are not giving him a chance. He then projects what he is doing onto ALL women and complaining about it. The fact is, most of my married friends (who happen to live in Sydney) say that what attracted them to their partner was their personality. Yep, that's right. Personalities are the most important thing.]

...
Whatever happened to old-fashioned values where a man works hard, treats a woman like a lady and showers her with love and romance gone? Via way of the 8-track and ColecoVision I think.
...
[Those men are a rare breed. I agree with him there, where have those values gone? It's not because women suddenly didn't want them, they seem to be dying out as a supply factor in the economic equation that is Sydney Single Scene.]
...
And then females hang onto that whole "Sex and the City" attitude. That show was THE WORST thing to happen to the single male in the civilized world. 
...
[Right, he just lost whatever credibility he had to start with. Get past the fluff of that show, which was actually "entertainment" not a "documentary" and you will find some genuine questioning about what makes a "real" man and how to find "real" love. One by one, each character finds love with the men who they were not expecting to be their "Ones". A nice message to single women, I thought. The rest was funny and vicarious and mostly about the shoes.]
...
I applaud women for having standards in what they want in life. 
...
[Doesn't really sound like it. SAYING you applaud women and actually living it are two different things.]
...
That's how it should be: don't settle for 2nd best, however, you set the bar WAAAAYYYY too high and the average, great guy who will treat you right doesn't have a chance.
...
[I'm confused. We shouldn't settle for second best, but our best is too high for men like him to jump through? What does that say? Thought about self improvements? And by this, I mean work on the attitude, cos ANY guy that treats us right and is a great guy gets a chance with most real women. Just a pity that I haven't personally come across a great deal that I can vouch for. And sometimes there is just not enough compatibility to continue. Yes, shock horror! Just because you are a great guy and single, doesn't mean that you and the girl you are chasing will have sufficient compatibility to make a long term relationship work!]
...
If I have to be an asshole/dickhead/bad boy/bastard to "get the girl", I think I'll stick to celibacy.
...
[WHOA! Now men who end up committing to women are ALL assholes/dickheads and bad boys? Sorry, I do not see women staying with these men. Again, the married/committed women I know (including me at one stage) went for great guys who treat us right. Sometimes it takes a while to find them. I'm not out there whinging about "all single Sydney men are bastards." Cos they're not. It just takes a while to sift through the chaff to get to the wheat.]

...
Can I get an AMEN? Hello and AMEN, walls.
...
[No, you can't.]
...
Thank you for your time. End of rant.

Note - this guy followed up with yet another whingey post. If he couldn't be trusted to keep his word that his rant ended in the previous comment, I'd wager that's why he (and similar men) is (are) still single and bitter.

The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment