Thursday, January 20, 2011

Feeding the soul and the body

I've started a new group called "Mindful Munchers" where members keep each other honest about what we are putting into our gobs each day, swapping helpful tips on keeping cravings at bay, and yummy recipes that meet our nutritional needs.

It's been so helpful and inspiring, more than I had imagined!

I have found that each day I start by planning - what shall I have for breakfast? Pack for lunch and snacks? Defrost for dinner?

And yet, it's also been a lesson in mindfulness in other ways. This evening, as I walked from home from work I arrived at my doorstep to find my local cafe (so local, it's actually in my building!) still open for its opening night of late trading!

The beautiful Italian boys who I have struck up a friendship with over the past 10 or so months encouraged me to dine at their hospitality (I truly am blessed with wonderful people in my life) and I found myself thinking "why the hell not... as long as I make conscious choices I should be fine."

So I had a shower (the humidity means that walking home for 30 minutes leaves me hot and sweating), dressed in a summer frock, put a flower in my hair (I subconsciously prepared myself for an "experience", rather than just simply "food") and sat outside.

Stefano and Luca introduced me to their two friends sitting at the table opposite me, "Umberto" and "Tiulio"... divine names that conjure up exotic conversations just overheard but not understood.

Stefano explained the set up, went through the specials, and although the pastas and bruschettas sounded wonderful, the prawn+avocado salad jumped out at me as the most appropriate choice. In fact, when I examined how I was feeling, I only wanted something light and flavoursome. I was brought a small entree bruschetta with a chicken concoction for starters, which I ate half. I was also brought a small carafe of red wine (did I mention how spoiled I am with amazing friends?)

As I sat and sipped and waited for my salad to arrive, the dusk was falling. I really sat and savoured the moment. I listened to the jazz wafting from the cafe and the Italian boys' conversation. I noticed I was sitting across from the Absinthe Salon, a Parisienne-inspired speciality bar and I also took a new look at the row of Victorian terraces opposite my honey-coloured converted warehouse apartment building (the terraces are actually a red-light destination, and I don't mean a doctor's residence....). I felt the zephyr gently rustling through the liquid amber trees planted on the side of the road.... and thought "I could actually be in Europe right now... how wonderful!"

I ate my salad which was every bit as promising as I had hoped. Stefano hovered anxiously over my final bites, keen to hear my verdict, and pressing me "No really, what did you think?" I felt so special to think that my opinion was considered so important!

Mains now done, I sat and read a little more of my book, overhearing snippets of conversations surrounding me, in the midst of couples and yet feeling ever so happy to be on my own tonight.

I was then brought a sample of the homemade tiramisu. It was lovely and light and wholly appreciated; every single bite. Mindful munching indeed! And mindful joy.

Finally, an espresso was summoned, exactly how I like it. And, then gently pressed for another red wine. That makes 3 glasses in toto. Oh well, who's counting when you are amongst such friends?

Then... belly and soul full of good food and good vibes, I asked for my bill. It amounted to a pittance, their reasoning it was an opening night... I was given profuse "thank you's" for my custom. You heard me correctly. What amazing people. What a night.

My "diet" can stand having such detours IF they are a special one-off. And only if they feed the soul as much as tonight has.

4 comments:

  1. Beautifully written Tash, I could feel your happiness in every word!! And I could picture the scene perfectly. You are BLESSED indeed!!! Beautiful story and good on you for enjoying that meal so mindfully!! You have inspired new beginnings and appreciations in all the MMs. Thankyou!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's beautiful Tash. I felt goosebumps- what a wonderful lady you are :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a really sweet blog post babe. I love hearing people enjoying magic moments - many are too rushed these days to appreciate them. xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The way you described it is my exact idea of a magical, almost "hollywood" evening in Tuscany. Just beautiful.

    Also, I just love how you write.

    ReplyDelete