Thursday, June 2, 2011

Catastrophisation and mum. How one obliterated the other.

I am the world's foremost expert in worryworting, dwelling and catastrophising. If there were an Olympic Gold Medal for Catastrophisation, I'd have won the last (divides age by four) NINE consecutive Olympiads.

This is something I have really been trying very very hard to overcome. But on nights like tonight, I am reminded again of my innate talent for taking "what ifs" to their illogical conclusion and imagining that I am, in fact, a big fat loser in the game of life and that's all I will ever be.

And then I talk to someone who snaps me out of it.

Tonight, mum called and was so supportive of what is going on in my life, and listened to my fears and empathised and told me it would all work out for the best. This is not the relationship I remember having with mum, and it's just gone from strength to strength in the last few years, and I wonder whether it was me or her or a little bit of both bending towards the other with more compassion and acceptance.

I am really loving mum, and am appreciating her love a lot more these days. I also loved our chat. I had been worrying about moving home, and worrying that I might not really be welcome there (I KNOW, right?!?). And her call completely blew my worries out of the water. 

No comments:

Post a Comment