Saturday, October 31, 2015

I owe, I owe (blogs)

Sigh. Life really does get in the way of writing, in all its gloriousness!

I haven't done my daily blog since Sunday, so now I owe you all 5 blogs (6 counting today!) So let's make this a short and sweet gratitude per day.

Monday 26 October - AKA Work Happies

The day before a big event, I am normally to be found herding people, fine tuning last minute messaging, and doing any number of triages on editorial emergencies. Monday felt like it was all under control. There were some last minute preparations, but it was all very stress-free. I felt like I finally have the balance between corporate life and freelancing! Which is a blessing as I was wondering how I would go leaving corporate altogether! (I do like the pace, I must admit!)

Tuesday 27 October - AKA Happiness is Not Listening to Douches

So at the cocktail evening of our event, I was cornered by a man I dubbed Douchie Douchbag McDouche. Just a couple of snippets from our conversation and you will realise why:

Snippet #1 (as he interrupted a fascinating conversation I was engaged in to drag me away and converse with him)

DDMcD: You look bored, why don't you talk to me,
Me: Er, okay. But I wasn't bored, I was actually quite fascinated by....
DDMcD: Yes you were, you were standing like this (imitates my stance by placing his chin on his hand, as I had been standing, in rapt fascination of the conversation....) Anyway I'm much more interesting than him.

Snippet #2 (after I politely gave him half a chance, like the "nice" person I am)
Me: So which presentation are you most looking forward to listening to tomorrow?
DDMcD: Oh I don't know. And I bet you won't be there.
Me: Actually I'm really looking forward to learning more about [company] and the technology as well as the partner strategies....
DDMcD: (interrupting me) Oh no, you'll be off shopping!
Me: (Taken aback) No, not really. I'm here to learn! Anyway, I don't like shopping.
DDMcD: Of course you do, all women love shopping.
Me: In your experience, maybe.

Snippet #3
DDMcD: So which part of Sydney are you from?
Me: Surry Hills
DDMcD: Oh, you're one of THOSE people, are you?
Me: What does "one of those people" mean?
DDMcD: (leering) I'm just f*&%ing with you.

Snippet #4 (After noticing I was not drinking)
DDMcD: Where's your drink? Here, I'll get you one (Starts clicking and waving at the waitstaff)
Me: No it's alright, I have already asked one of the waitstaff for one.
DDMcD (flagging down a waiter) You drink red wine...
Me: No, I don't, I'm not drinking. I'm waiting for a mineral water.
DDMcD: (looking at me doubtfully) Why aren't you drinking?
Me: (not wishing to go into the personal reasons) I have a bet with myself that I can go a whole year without alcohol.
DDMcD: No... I know why you're not drinking.... you're shy.
Me (really getting to the end of my patience with this jerk who keeps judging me and coming up completely wrong) Shy? What on earth does that have anything to do with not drinking?
DDMcD: You are shy of letting your boss see you drink at your new job.
Me: No, that's not correct at all, excuse me, I have to go.

So, dear readers, where's the strawberry in that? In my past life I would consider it my "job" or duty to continue entertaining this lughead. Instead, I recognised the inevitable negative feeling I would get from continuing to engage, so I simply removed myself from his company and avoided him pointedly for the rest of the event.

Wednesday 28 October, AKA: Having my conference and walking too!
Having reignited my fitbit passion, I got up early and walked along the beach, which was metres from the stunning hotel we were all staying at.

A picture tells a thousand words, so here's 2,000 words below :)


Thursday 29 October, AKA: 6 Degrees of Separation!

So, with the formalities of the event over, I spent the day with our amazing, and crazy, left-of-centre, events folks. Laughed like I have not laughed in a very long time. Then added them all to Facebook, with the result that one came running up to me, "ARE YOU A DAVID?!?!?" he asked. "Yes." "OMG, I grew up with your cousins! I worked with your auntie!"

Talk about 6 degrees of separation! Turns out we have been ducking and weaving most of our lives at family events and gatherings! Here is me waving to my cousins through his phone :D


Friday, 30 October, AKA: It's a good life!
Yesterday was my day off from my contract role, so I got to work on web stuff, which I really enjoy. I also got a few more commissions, meaning I will not be experiencing the typical freelance downtime over summer as I had anticipated! This is great from a financial perspective, but I wonder if i will be able to enjoy fun in the sun? I guess I will take my laptop to Clovelly :D

Oh, and early payment from one of my jobs was also a bonus!

Freelance life = WINNING!


No comments:

Post a Comment