Monday, March 19, 2012

Things happen easily, for a reason

How often have we all been in traffic and watched other drivers ducking and weaving through cars, accelerating to make the lights, and in general acting like they haven't a moment to lose?

How often do you notice this behaviour, and smile, and continue at a steady pace, going with the flow, humming a merry tune, taking in the scenery, only to find yourself pulling up alongside Mr Hoon at the end of the road.

One of you has had a pleasant journey to the set of lights you have found yourselves at, the other is highly stressed out and seething.

Well, this is a lot like life. I have tried both approaches, impatiently trying to get to my destination, feeling resentful when the obstacles forcibly slow me down, honking my opinions to the person or people in the way of my end goal. I have been guilty of not admiring the scenery of my life, and where I am in the moment. Going with the flow, I'd scoff. That means not getting there faster.

But where is there?

I used to think there was a combination of my ultimate life goals. I'd be settled in a great relationship. In a job I loved doing. Paid off my debts. I'd have already written one or two books by then. My fantasy residence (always in another country or city) is where I'd be living. I'd be at my goal weight... thin, rich and basically wildly successful...

What a rort, that line of thinking is. And a recipe for discontentment.

So I did a little experiment late last year. I took my foot off the clutch, I stopped changing gears in my attempt to manipulate my life to resemble how I wanted it to be. I stopped racing, racing, racing, and just left the outcome of what I was trying to achieve into the hands of the universe. I stopped being that stressed out driver, hoping to get to the final set of traffic lights faster than the road I was travelling wanted me to.

All of a sudden, things became really easy. The outcome happened and my life is as it is, because that's the way it's meant to be. Easy. I am now the driver who is whistling a little tune along to myself in the drivers seat, picking up the hitchhikers that look like they would be good company along the way, dropping them off when they want to explore the local area as I head back on my journey, looking at the scenery. I feel less stressed, less anxious. And above all I feel at peace that the road will get me to where I am going.... eventually.

Here is what matters. Now is what we are experiencing. Take your foot off that clutch! Stop trying to change gears, you will guzzle more petrol and end up at your destination tired and ragged.

And that's not much fun, cos there's a party at the end, so you may as well enjoy getting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment